JO’BURG CHILD WELFARE TODAY
Jo’burg Child Welfare (JCW) provides direct services to children aged 0 to 18 through our centres and the service units at our head office. Through our Orphaned and Vulnerable Children (OVC) Forum, we assist community based organisations in providing services to orphaned and vulnerable children within the communities they serve. In realising that we are not able to help every child ourselves, we invest considerable resources in working well with other role players to ensure that as many children in need as possible are assisted.
In much the same way that Johannesburg as a city has developed over a long period of time, so too has JCW, adapting and evolving to meet a complex city’s needs in the development and implementation of relevant services to its children.
From our Head Office in downtown Johannesburg, we provide a range of direct services and support to our various outside centres, as well as various training courses and activities.
- Child and Family Unit (child protection intake, intervention and adoption services)
- Foster Care and Reintegration Services (recruitment, screening and training of foster parents, monitoring of foster placements)
- Child Abuse Treatment and Training Services (treatment for child survivors of sexual abuse and their families, preventative and statutory services)
- Aganang Learning Centre (training for social auxiliary workers)
- Princess Alice Adoption Home (around-the-clock care for babies)
- Othandweni Family Care Centre (full-time care for children aged 0-18)
- Thembalethu (life skills and economic empowerment for young women)
- Elton John Masibambisane Centre (for orphaned and vulnerable children and their families)
- A Chance to Play
- Human Trafficking
- Orphaned and Vulnerable Children (OVC) Forum (capacity building and mentorship for local organisations dealing with OVCs)
Through our various services, centres and initiatives, we effectively reach more than 40,000 beneficiaries on an annual basis. Our OVC Forum allows us to reach 23,000 people. JCW faces a massive challenge in its dealings with children and related communities and it is unlikely that the size, complexity and scope of this challenge will diminish in the near future.
In carrying out our caring, advocacy and protection activities, we are proud to say that our organisation is run according to the highest corporate governance parameters. JCW’s role is of paramount importance in South Africa, both now and in the future, and will become increasingly more so.
Click here to view and download our Child Protection Organisation Certificate, Annual Report and BBBEE Certificate.